Ms Pamfilova was born on 12 September 1953 in Almalyk, Tashkent region, Uzbek SSR (today Uzbekistan).
In 1976 she graduated from the Moscow Power Engineering Institute.
1976 – 1989 – member of staff, production engineer, Chairperson of the Trade Union Committee of the Central Mechanical Engineering and Repair Plant of the Production Association “Mosenergo”.
1989 – 1991 – People’s Deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR; Member of the Committee for Ecology and Rational Use of Natural Resources; Secretary of the Commission for Privileges and Benefits.
1991 – 1994 – Minister of Social Protection for the Population of the Russian Federation.
1993 – 2000 – Deputy of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation of the first and second convocations, for a single-seat constituency.
2000 – 2001 – Chairperson of the Board of the All-Russian Public Political Movement “For Civil Dignity”.
2001 – 2010 – Chairperson of the Board of the All-Russian Public Movement “Civil Dignity”.
2002 – 2004 – Chairperson of the Russian Presidential Commission for Human Rights (on a voluntary basis).
2004 – Chairperson of the Presidential Council for Civil Society and Human Rights (on a voluntary basis).
2010 – 2014 – Higher School of Economics National Research University, Civil Society and Non-Commercial Sector Research Center, senior associate.
2014 – 2016 – High Commissioner for Human Rights in the Russian Federation; a member of governmental commissions on juvenile rights and affairs, on prevention of offence, on migration policy, on compatriots living abroad, and the Interdepartmental Commission of the Russian Federation for the Council of Europe Affairs.
3 March 2016 Ms Ella Pamfilova was appointed as a Member of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation by Decree of the President of the Russian Federation.
28 March 2016 Ms Ella Pamfilova was elected as Chairperson of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation.
1991 – 1992 – First Deputy Chairperson of the Commission on International Humanitarian and Technical Assistance under the Government of the Russian Federation.
1994 – Chairperson of the Russian Federation President's Public Council on Social Policy.
1995 – 2000 – Member of the Presidential Council for the Disabled and the Presidential Commission for Search of Captives, Hostages and Interned Persons.
1996 – Leader of the National Public Movement Za zdorovuyu Rossiyu (For a Healthy Russia).
2000 – participant in the presidential elections; Russian first woman candidate for President of the Russian Federation.
2000 – 2002 – Member of the National Public Commission for Investigation of Violations and Protection of Human Rights in the North Caucasus.
2001 – Member of the Organizing Committee of the Russian National Civil Forum.
2002 – 2010 – Chairperson of the Russian National Public Associations Union “Civil Society – For the Children of Russia”.
2006 – an initiator and a coordinator of the National Workgroup of the Advisory Council, the Civil 8 – 2006 International Summit of Non-Governmental Organizations.
2007 – Coordinator of The Right to Elect – 2008 Non-Governmental Organizations Coalition Project.
The Order for Services to the Fatherland (III degree), the Order for Services to the Fatherland (IV degree), the Order of Honor, the Order of Amity, the Medal of the Order for Services to the Fatherland (I degree), the Order of the Legion of Honor (Knight) (France), Dr. Friedrich Joseph Haass Award (Germany).
The Chairperson of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation carries out general management of the CEC of Russia.
The Chairperson directly directs organization of work in the following areas:
1. consideration of complaints on decisions and actions (inaction) of election commissions of constituent entities of the Russian Federation, their officials, complaints on decisions of district election commissions on elections of deputies of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation on refusal in registration of candidates;
2. organization of rapid response (visit to the constituent entities of the Russian Federation, additional checks, other forms of response) of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation to incoming appeals (complaints) of representatives of political parties and other citizens about violations during election campaigns;
3. interaction with federal authorities, other state bodies on issues related to the preparation and conduct of elections and referendums;
4. implementation of international cooperation in the field of electoral systems, including: international agreements, bilateral and multilateral interstate contacts, including international structures, participation in international observation during election campaigns (elections and referendums) abroad, interaction with international organizations, methodological, information work with the subjects of the Russian Federation, work with international and national non-governmental organizations and the media on international cooperation, accreditation of foreign (international) observers;
5. organization of interaction with expert community and representatives of civil society engaged in the protection of electoral rights and the right to participate in the referendum of citizens of the Russian Federation;
6. information coverage of activities of the CEC of Russia;
7. organization of staff management in the CEC of Russia.
The Chairperson coordinates the following activities:
1. participation in the formation of election commissions and referendum commissions of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation;
2. interaction with public authorities of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation, local authorities on issues related to the preparation and conduct of elections and referendums, interaction with election commissions of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation;
3. consideration of citizens' appeals;
4. preparation of opinions on compliance of laws and other regulatory legal acts of subjects of the Russian Federation with the Federal Law “On basic guarantees of electoral rights and the right to participate in the referendum of citizens of the Russian Federation” and other federal laws regulating electoral rights and the right to participate in the referendum of citizens of the Russian Federation;
5. monitoring of law enforcement activities and preparation of proposals to improve law enforcement practice and legislation.